Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 7: Vienna

So it is really late and I'm in a Wombat's Hostel so i am downstairs. My camera is upstairs so pictures will have to wait until tomorrow at least, when we are in Munich. It is great to be back in German speaking territory. I felt so ignorant in Eastern Europe as all the languages are of slavic descent so it is almost impossible to guess pronounciation of any of their words. At least I know a little german and as it is a latin langauge, guessing is much much easier.

Vienna is described as very much like what Berlin would have looked like had it not been bombed out in World War II. It is a very beautiful city. My favourite building is their house of Parliament, which is much more understated than the Hungarian one, but I believe it is more effective. Standing out the front is a statue  of Athena which looks absolutely amazing.

Today we also went to the Summer Palace of the Hapsburgs. It is absolutely massive and it would take forever to see everything. We only walked around the outside, but the grounds were truely stunning. Overall, today was a lovely day, despite the fact it rained constantly, although it was only a light drizzle rather than pouring.

I also purchased a new coat, which was exceptionally cheap (about $55 Australian Dollars) for the quality and style. I bought this mostly because I needed a warm formal coat to wear to the orchestra tonight. That concert was a wonderful performance with excellent music. Overall, very good entertainment.

Tomorrow we leave bright and early to travel to Munich, stopping to see whether the hills really are alive with the sound of music in Salsburg. Cannot wait!

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment