Saturday, January 29, 2011

Days 19-21: The Hague!

Sorry for the wait, the THIMUN conference has been so full on I haven't had much time to do any blog posting. Mostly it's my fault and I do appologise, but I'll treat you now to a quick summary of my past three days (it has to be quick because I have to go catch a train to Amsterdam for my last full day before we fly out tomorrow :()

So, Wednesday was only a half day of debate, we finished debate before lunch and after lunch the Australian Delegation went out to the ICJ and met with Sir Christopher Greenwood, British Judge on the ICJ. He was an intelligent and very funny man who discussed the role of his job and how the judges were elected, as well as having a go at us Australians about the Ashes. It was an honour to meet him and learn just a small piece of the wisdom he had to offer. A very entertaining afternoon.

Despite a plan to celebrate Australia Day with the entire delegation, I did not feel too well and so decided to stay a home and get some much needed sleep. It was disappointing not to go out and enjoy The Hague whilst celebrating our national holiday, but I felt better in the morning for it.

On Thursday we had a full day of debate and I was lucky enough to be seconding the last resolution of the day. The issue of having set topics to write on had become very apparent as different resolutions came forward with the same solutions and clauses to ones we had debated and failed earlier. By the end of the day, most delegates were tired and my resolution I was seconding just happened to be the resolution they sought comic relief from. It was annoying that delegates proposed "funny" amendments on this resolution and I was disappointed that the resolution did not pass, but there was nothing more I could do. I was having an easier time that some of the delegates from Australia, so I thank my lucky stars for that.

Friday was the last day of debate and saw me seconding another resolution that experienced similiar problems to all the other resolutions on the topic and failed, sadly. When the two sub-commissions joined together we debated resolutions that had passed through one of the sub-commissions and the other delegate from the Commission on Crime and Punishment, Sarah, proposed one of them which was passed! Congratulations to her, I am so proud of her. She put in a lot of effort and the success was well-deserved.

Last night also was the final dance and our last night with some of the great people who have become allies, friends and occassionally hillarious enemies (in a good way) over the past week. The Australian Delegation left the final dance early with our hosts to go out and enjoy their company for what will sadly be the last time. I have met some amazing people and I now thank Facebook for its existance so I can keep in touch with them for what I hope will be forever. Well, at least until we meet again.

That is all there is to it, I have packed my bags and now look towards catching a train to Amsterdam. Tomorrow we fly home from what has been an amazing experience. Those who have participated in THIMUN before have not lied: THIMUN does change lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment